For our final installment on low impact exercises for patients suffering from neuropathy, here’s one that many people don’t think about as exercise:
You can stretch while lying in bed. This is a good stretching program that will give you a good total body stretch without ever getting on your feet. Do each of these small stretches 6 or 8 times:
- Start with your fingers and toes and gently stretch and contract them
- Next, move to your wrists and ankles and make circles with the joints
- Bend your elbows, bring your hands in to your shoulders
- Bend your knees, one at a time, toward your chest
- Bring your arms up to your ears and down, gently stretching your shoulder muscles
- Raise each leg, keep it straight, and raise it as far as you can.
None of these stretches requires a broad range of motion but will increase the circulation in your arms and legs and work your joints.
Remember, you don’t have to over exert yourself to stretch your muscles and improve your circulation. When you deal with debilitating pain, just doing those two things can lead to great improvement in your overall health condition.
Start small, take it easy and do the exercise you choose at your own pace. Be gentle with yourself. The more you do even the smallest exercise, the better you are going to feel. And that’s the best way to ensure a good outcome from any medical treatment.